Saturday, June 11, 2011

Bumped [by the King of 'Goon' Times]

It was 6.15 AM and I reached the Kingfisher checkin counter at the Mumbai Airport to board a 7.15 AM flight to New Delhi. I showed my ticket and identity proof at the counter. She kept tapping at the keyboard, expressing surprise once in a while. I asked her if there is any problem. She preferred to keep tapping away as she kept staring at the screen - with expressions ranging from confusion to disappointment to distress. I wondered if she had suddenly got an E-mail from her boss saying she was fired.[The airline is known to be under severe debt. But I did not get into calculating the Debt/Equity at that time of the day] She looked towards left and then to the right for help, but both the counters seemed to be too busy (and it didn't seem like they had got any such E-mail).

I heaved a sigh of relief when she finally printed the boarding pass. But as it turned out, the relief turned into outright disbelief, when she looked at the boarding pass, frowned, tore it and threw the pieces in the dustbin!

I was shocked. It definitely did not seem like she had got a pink slip [no pun intended]. She finally blurted it out. "There are no seats available. The flight is overbooked". The tables seemed to have turned. It was now my job that suddenly seemed to be in danger (did I mention the purpose of the visit was a business meeting!)

I protested. "How is this even possible!". "I have a valid ticket!". "I have a valid identity proof" "I reached the counter well before time" "There is nothing that I have done wrong which justifies me being denied boarding" (okay, except possibly the fact that I chose to fly Kingfisher)

I so hoped that she would say - "Okay I was just kidding, since there is anyway some 15 minutes more for boarding. And since there is no one behind you in this queue, thought would play a small prank to pass time. Here's your boarding pass!"

I was in the real world though. And airline counter staff aren't known to be particularly funny in the real world. I asked her "So what next?". She said "The next flight is at 8.10 AM. We can get you a seat in that".

I said "That is not an option. I have a meeting." (I was hoping some persistence would help)

She tapped at her keyboard for a while and confirmed that no other airline to Delhi had any empty seats, and also that the next best option was the 8.10 AM Kingfisher to Delhi.

I didn't have a choice but to wait for the 8.10 flight. The issue escalating to higher authorities did not help. They all said the same thing. And as I later found out, it was not just me, but 3/4 others who had also got bumped off the same flight.

But now that the visit is done and I am back in Mumbai, I thought I should just check with the airlines and let them hear some music. Music was what they made me hear though (quite literally), as I called the helpline number and the Kingfisher Airlines jingle started playing. [On a side note, it's a good strategy to have a melodious and soothing jingle while the customer waits for 'customer care executive' - since there is a good chance that it might soften that customer's attack.]

I am yet to go past the jingle stage though, since the elusive 'customer care executive' has not picked up the call yet. Have sent them a mail and am waiting for a response.http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Nevertheless, dear reader, what has your experience been with getting bumped off flights? What sort of compensation (if at all) is generally provided by the airlines? Isn't it wrong on the part of the airlines to overbook in the first place (considering there could be a situation - however slim the chance might be - that all passengers would turn up and none of them can afford to go late?)

[Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely as a customer of the service]

Update (June 30, 2011) : Received a cheque of Rs 4000 from Kingfisher Airlines as compensation. The amount is as per DGCA regulations.

3 comments:

Nishant said...

feel sorry for u... but well written!

Dikshit Sindhwani said...

you shud put it up on twitter...they keep tracking there and would definitely compensate somehow to avoid controversy!!!

Dev said...

Great, well written!